Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I love the mission...‏ (February 7, 2012)

Well, we had a great week. Sorry about the delay in emails, but we had interviews yesterday, so our internet time was changed to today :)

Don´t worry... Dad´s given me chicote for not being a good communicator... here goes ;)

I adore La Antigua. Hermana Garcia and I have been trying to take as much advantage as possible of all of the great places to see, eat, etc.... and at the same time, trying not to look like tourists :) When we come back to visit... I´ll know all the great places to eat. There´s even a chocolate musuem!

I´ve also answered a question of my own that I have had for a very long time. I never understood how it was that all the gringos could adapt so much more easily to the food here (maybe not health-wise, but actually liking the food) than the latinos. It´s because in the States we eat so much of everything... we eat chinese, mexican, italian... everything food! I don´t know.. it´s just a small thought, and not always true, but it´s a little of what I´ve found with some latin missionaries here.. some can be so incredibly picky and not like the food of a country that is 2 hours away from their house.

Things are going great with Hermana Garcia. I love having little flashbacks and realizations and enlightenments that have to do with the time that I was being trained with Hermana Wetzel. I am still so incredibly grateful that she was my mom. She´s a legend. President Brough even mentioned her randomly in a zone meeting yesterday.

We are working with a few young men that are our age (with much cuidado! don´t worry). It´s actually a great story.... remember the men that I mentioned a couple of months ago that always said stupid, offensive things to us when we walked by? Well, we´re teaching two of them... haha. And we actually got a reference from a different one that is actually turning out to be pretty positive, too. The two that we are teaching are brothers, Byron and Walter. Byron takes things lots more seriously and actually has a good amount of interest in the Church and message. Walter is a bit more of a pest, but yesterday we had a great lesson with them. We were just teaching Byron at first, getting ready to challenge him to baptism, when Walter walked in, so we thought that we had lost our chance... but Walter actually expressed his thoughts and feelings about how he wants to change and stop sinning as much, but that it´s hard. We ended up challenging them both... we are hoping to see true and real changes in them.

The other one (the reference I just mentioned) is named Hector. He is from Guate, but actually lived in the States for more than 20 years, so he´s kind of an Anny case... he knows the two languages perfectly, but his strong point is actually English. I love having quick conversations in english (usually just over the phone... we teach in Spanish, because my comp´s English is a work in progress :))... and I love it!! I love missionary work in English! I love Spanish and can communicate just fine, but I just feel so much more free in English. But this time has also helped me realize the purpose I have in being on a Spanish-speaking mission and the Lord knows what He´s doing and does everything in a way to benefit us... but it ends up being our choice to let our situations effect us possitively or negatively.

We are also working with a great family. Familia Franco. They´re positive, but it´s just the same old story with our area... it´s real tough to help them understand. It´s just incredible how truly blessed we are to live in a country where education is so important and necessary.... Es una lucha... but we´re pressing forward and trying to be more patient and improve our teaching abilities.

Love you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment